Art Eddy and Ryan Hamilton bring on Scott Behson of Fathers, Work and Family to talk about his book “The Working Dad’s Survival Guide: How to Succeed at Work and at Home”.
The Working Dad’s Survival Guide helps dads understand they are not alone, and offers a series of concrete time and life management strategies that enable them to succeed in their careers while also being the present, involved fathers they always wanted to be. Through personal stories and interviews with dozens of working dads, as well as actionable advice and useful self-assessment exercises, Scott Behson will help you feel more confident in succeeding in both parts of your life.
Specifically, The Working Dad’s Survival Guide will help dads:
- Understand that most dads face the same struggles they do.
- Articulate their career and family priorities through reflection and self-assessment exercises and by reading about other dads’ experiences.
- Assess their current workplace’s and employer’s attitudes towards work and family. This can lead to a better understanding of ways dads can pursue
- work-family balance and what barriers may be in their way.
- Maintain and enhance their work productivity through better prioritization, planning and focus, as well as more efficient time management.
- Understand how to create, negotiate for, and utilize workplace flexibility.
- Understand their rights regarding paternity leave.
- Protect family time from the creeping demands of work.
- Improve their focus on the most important aspects of parenting, and gain a better understanding of how wives, families and children benefit from present, involved fathers.
- Carve out “me time” – exercise and social activities – needed to de-stress, renew energy and maintain mental health.
- Build a support network of other working dads so that they can give and receive friendship, emotional support and tangible help.
A portion of the book’s proceeds is donated to A Better Balance, an advocacy organization promoting family-supportive workplace and social policy.